6.21.2006

I am man

I woke up this morning, looked out the window and my first rational thought of the day was, "Dang it is raining. I really want to play softball tonight." That's when you know you are still 12.

Oh, I want to direct people over to Marc's blog to see our latest prank. (No, it is not the 30-foot Virgin Mary. Scroll past that...) This time it was on a girl who has nothing to do with our prank wars. We just want everyone to know they are not safe.

I finished an article last night for Christian Single magazine. It was a really enjoyable assignment and I'm actually kinda proud of it. The topic was communication gaffs that occur in realtionships because men and women talk different languages: men analyzing while women are sympathizing; men living in the moment when women are looking big picture; men being direct while women infer; and men talking generally while women process literally.

My research and interviewing folks for the article also helped me learn some things about the way I communicate. It also made situations in my past suddenly make more sense. Oh, that's why she reacted that way, I thought.

For instance, when I was in college I was starting to see this girl. I told her that I'd call her Friday afternoon. Well, on Friday I called at 5:30. She was very cold and distant. I found out later, through a friend, that she was upset because I called Friday NIGHT, not afternoon. Now, I still maintain that 5:30 is the afternoon, or maybe early evening. But doing this article, I saw that women are more literal than most guys. Hence the issue.

I had fun with this article because they wanted a light approach and a "dating dictionary" of phrases and what they mean to both a man or woman. Here's an example:

Fine /fīn / When asked about their day, women mean: “Things are well. I have stories to illustrate. I cannot wait to tell you them and connect.” Men mean: “I have nothing of note to report."

I will call you /ī wil kal yü/ Women mean: “I will call you. Maybe before I even get home.” Men mean: “I might call you. But the game’s on now. Perhaps in several days or weeks.”

Speaking of articles, I've updated the links at the right. I mainly did this because Randy found what has in the last 3 hours become my favorite blog. When I used to work for Randy, we'd often critique bad comics for their complete idiocy. And this guy went a step farther and created a blog out of it. Brilliant!

You know, I miss making fun of Mutts so much, we may have hit on to a new weekly feature here at PTOIT!

No comments: