7.31.2007

Goo(ch)dbye, Tadahito

This is a weird photo for me to see. Aaron Rowand and Tadahito Iguchi together again...but wearing red? I may never get used to seeing my boys in other uniforms. And because Aaron and Tadahito were members of that 2005 squad, there's an extra sadness. One by one, that team is leaving.

And with Freddy, Aaron and Gooch now all on the Phillies, I think I've found my National League team to root for this season. How can I go wrong following them? They are practically an extension team of the Sox. Therefore, I was very pleased last night as Aaron and Gooch combined their magical powers to drill the Cubs. Yes. If my White Sox can't be better than the Cubs, than maybe the White Sox East can.

Tadahito's departure to the Phillies last week wasn't a big surprise. But I wish we'd gotten more for him than a Jumbo Pretzal. Some cheese would have been nice to go with it. I think my wife was happy with the trade though. Now it's less likely that I will push for our first son to be named Tadahito (or Todd Ahito).

To mark the Gooch's departure, I wrote a poem. It's called, "Goodbye, Tadahito":
Goodbye Tadahito,
We knew you not enough.
After all, you didn't speak English.

But you didn't have to.
You spoke Baseball.
And World Series Championship.
And, well, Japanese.

So, as you depart,
I think of our memories.
Of the clutch hitting.
Of the quiet hustle.
Of your ridiculous dives for grounders.
Of explaining to people that we weren't booing you.
We were saying, "Gooooooch."
And, lastly, I think of your silly, but adorable, grin.

And so, Gooooooch, I say to you:
Domo Arigato, Mr. Iguchi.

2 comments:

HopefulLeigh said...

A very worthy and moving tribute.

derfman said...

Goooooooooch!