9.06.2007

Back In the Cubicle

When I first started working at my current magazine, I worked in a cubicle that we use for student interns. The guy formerly in my job didn't leave the company--he just switched jobs--so, until they could find a new place for him, he squatted in what is now my creaky, leaky office.

I am back in that cube as I write this. I came back here to remember my roots--to never get so big and mighty that I forget where I came from. Actually, I'm here because my computer is not working. Whenever my PC goes out on me, I come work at the intern's terminal if it's free. (NOTE: This also means that I'm working on a toaster and do not have IM. So if you are bugging Emily about where I am at on IM, you can leave her alone. Now you know.)

Before the wedding, my hard drive had this bad habit of freezing or going to a blue screen that said "Beginning Physical Memory Dump." I am no technician, but that doesn't sound good at all. But while I was away from work for 3 weeks, the good people in Computer Services fixed my dumping problem.

Until Tuesday. It dumped on me again. And so I alerted Computer Services. They responded that instead of trying any more fixes, they would be giving me a newer harddrive. Yay!

And it couldn't have been soon enough. This morning, I was 5 minutes into work when it did it's physical memory dump and then...went black. The screen said, "Unable to find hard drive." I am no technician, but that doesn't sound good at all.

So, I am in the cube and the good people in Computer Services are preparing my New Super Computer. Hopefully this one won't hate me. Or be able to smell my fear.

UPDATE: I have my new Super Computer and I'm out of the cubicle. Life is good. If my fantasy team will score ANY points this week!

No comments: