9.04.2007

Sox Surprise!

At lunch on Tuesday I went over to our East Estate, the unrented, unsold condo from my bachelor days. I needed to vacuum and grab a few things. While there, I decided to take home my nice wooden end table that used to belong to my grandparents.

The table is hard to describe but it's pretty tall and about 3-feet wide with one drawer. There are markings on it that make us believe that it may be an old Communion table from a church (which makes sense because many of my ancestors were clergymen.)

I took the drawer out to carry the table downstairs. When I got outside, I turned the table and something fell out of the drawer slot. I looked down and saw it was some booklet. All I could notice was an ad on the back so I assumed it was a mailer of some sort. I bent down and picked it up and was very surprised by it: It's a 1970 Official White Sox Program and Scorecard.



Apparently, I've never taken that drawer out before.

It's pretty bent up from being jammed back behind the drawer for who knows how many years and it's discolored, but it's in decent condition. There's a feature on the young up-and-comer Bill Melton in his second year. An ad advertises a White Sox jacket for $8.45 (plus $.25 for shipping.) The team slogan is apparently "Angry Young Men." The program sold for 25 cents and the highest ticket price was $3.50. The bleachers were only $1.





Since yesterday, I've gotten to read about the Sox's "Mainstay on the Mound" Joel Horlen, the "husky little outfielder" Walter Williams, "star lefthander" Tommy John, and "Baseball's Premier Shortstop" Luis Aparicio. It's a neat time-capsule.

I can't wait to give it back to my dad, who I am assuming it belongs to.

No comments: