9.19.2007

That's Not Toothpaste

Since I've gotten married, I've noticed more and more the differences in how men and women think. I've always known that women multi-task better than men. But the compounding evidence fascinates me.

It's so true: Women can think about and/or do 489 things at once. Guys? One. If we (OK, maybe it's just me) try to do more than that one thing--or you bring up something for us to think about while we're still focused on our one item, errors occur.

Like the other night: I was telling the wife a story as I prepared for bed. And I was really into the story. As I talked, I grabbed my toothbrush, squirted paste on it and began brushing--all the while concentrating on whatever wonderful story I was telling. About two strokes in, I stopped. Something is wrong here, I thought. That doesn't taste like toothpaste.

It wasn't. I was so focused on my story, I squirted hair gel onto my toothbrush.

Mmm-mmm good.

Related note: I went to the dentist yesterday. Despite my troubled dental past, I am now a model of oral health!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe we should all take a tip from the blunder and brush with gel the night before any dentist appointment...guess if it worked for you maybe it would for others! I am not sure I really wanna try it, though

the todd said...

It doesn't taste that good, no. However, I recoginized the taste from the time I played Ultimate in the rain and gel trickled into my mouth...

Unknown said...

Don't lump me into your stereotypical view of the male as a dullard!

Wait, what was the post about again?

Doug said...

If I had a dime for every time I brushed my teeth with something other than toothpaste while telling a story. . . . . .

Unknown said...

Ok - so you CAN lump Doug into your mentally deficient category.