3.23.2006

The Smell of Corporate America

I am glad that one of the most serious issues in my life right now is the weird smell compromising my workday. Every other day at appox. 3:30, I smell a combination of odors that can only be described as Melon Baby Powder. This has been happening for a long time. On Tuesday I started to figure it out.

It turns out that the one smell is the women's bathroom about 5 feet from my door. There's an automatic air freshner that I think is malfunctioning in the afternoons and spraying what must be a solid cloud of powder. One day it was so bad and heavy in the air that I swear I got a rash.

The Melon smell is what I discovered on Tuesday. A woman down the hall is burning a scented candle. At work. By the end of the day, the candle must be so warm that the Meloness is escaping down the hall.

I have to figure out how to combat these issues.

1 comment:

the dreamer said...

A couple thoughts:

1) Can CTI be really be classified as "corporate America"? The cubicles and the coffee would suggest that, but the salary and the building(s) and the everything else says to me, "not-so-corporate." aka, "not-for-profit."

2)I propose a trade: Your scent of lovely Melonness wonder--and even a little rash--for the odor that wafts its way into my office and attacks my nostrils every day. (I'm not mentioning any names, but employees who are not women who use the bathroom know who they are. Not that I blame them, specifically; see thought #1.)