3.27.2006

Springfield Spectacular!

This past weekend, The Ladyfriend and I traveled to Springfield, Illinois, to see her dad. The Ladyfriend has always said that you really cannot explain her dad, but must experience him. I had that experience.

My favorite part of the weekend was when The Ladyfriend was busy doing something and her father called me into his room. "Do you shoot?" he asked. The question surprised me and didn't really make sense to my brain. I am not sure I ever answered. But before I knew it, he was showing me his gun collection. Now, we all have hobbies and interests. And that's cool. But never have I had a girlfriend's dad show me his gun collection. I had actually wondered if this kind of thing really happened--or just in sitcoms. After we looked at his guns, he said, "I really hope I never have to use them for anything other than target practice."

Springfield had many other fun experiences as well. (No, I did not see the Springfield Monorail.) We went to the Dana-Thomas House, a Frank Lloyd Wright building right downtown. It was awesome. It is the most complete Wright site still existing--with 90% of Wright's furniture still intact. The man was a genius. Although that was cool, it was trumped by the brand new Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library. Whoa. I cannot even believe how cool this was. Now, other musuems may have better collections. But this is easily the best museum I have seen in terms of imparting information, pulling the visitor into the learning, and implementing new technology. It is laid out in the coolest way. I highly recommend taking the trip. And if you do go, see "The Ghosts of the Library." It is a media event that is better than most Hollywood movies today. (Oh, and they have lifesize figures you can do fun poses with--see above!)

The saddest thing we saw in Springfield was the amount of damage done by the March 12 tornado that ripped through the city. There was more damage done than I thought. Many people lost their homes and businesses. And this poor guy (left), lost his head. Giant roadside attractions always delight me. But headless ones? Priceless.

PTOIT Sports Bulletin: I cannot believe who made the NCAA Final Four!

5 comments:

Mark Ahn said...

you forgot the part in the dream where you throw down your gun and badge on the captain's desk and leave in disgust before pursuing vigilante justice.

Also, is the guy that played Geo. Mason the same guy that plays House?

the todd said...

I don't think that is the same guy, but they do both have that "beaten by the world" look. Besides, it can't be the same guy since he's still on House, but died on 24...

Mark Ahn said...

also, i really hate when the promo voiceover guy says "next week on Fox, ... a new episode of HOUSE" in that sucker-ass voice he uses. It's sort of more acceptable when he says "the OC" cuz that actually sounds like the title to something, whereas "HOUSE" is a common word.

Also. Everyone hates a nerd.

derfman said...

Dude, just call her your girlfriend. Ladyfriend sounds like she is some kind of mistress or something. Ladyfriend means that you are her gentleman caller.

the todd said...

I am her gentleman caller, Derf. :)