4.11.2007

More About My Hair!

On Saturday, my mom, grandma, sister and sister-in-law threw a lovely shower for My Intended. My dad arrived before it started to drop of his mom who lives in a nursing home. I went outside to help her get out of the car. As she struggled to stand, she look up at me, paused and said, "What have you done to your hair?"

Later, I was telling her a long story. When I finished, all she said was, "I really don't like your hair."

I assured her that this long, shaggy look won't be permanent.

In fact, I go through new hairstyles quite a bit. And there's one stage that some readers of PTOIT missed a few summers back. The FauxHawk stage:

I look pretty punk, huh?

Although I wanted to do because I thought it'd be fun and cool, I also used it to serve a purpose. Our junior High kids needed extra motivation to raise mission trip funds. So I told them I'd wear an almost-Mohawk (without the completely shaved sides) on the trip if they raised a certain amount. Of course, I wanted them to do it...and just used the bet as an excuse.

Two funny stories that came from that time:

1) One of the kids from another church at our work camp cut his hair into a Fauxhawk like mine on the trip. He was all proud and we took pictures together. But I know that somewhere, I really ticked off some mom who's kid came home with a horrible haircut.

2) I took my work team to Arby's on our last work day. There, two older women were really skittish around this weird guy with the red almost-Mohawk. They sat at their table and kept whispering and glaring. I felt bad. But then, one of them spilled her coke all over. I rushed over with napkins and helped them clean it up. You should have seen their reactions to the surprise that someone who looked so odd could be nice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The guy with the mohawk def. looks like he would be dropping babies ;)

the todd said...

Or eat babies.