6.11.2007

The Bachelor Party

Saturday was designed to be my Perfect Day. And it nearly was.

Best Man Doug (with help from the groomsmen and ushers) planned an amazing day. In fact, Doug said that he actually got it deemed International Todd Day. I am not sure what it takes to actually get an international holiday declared, but it seems like it would take a lot of paperwork, so thanks to Doug for that. That's why he's the Best Man.

The Day started early. Marc (read his take on the day here) picked Doug and I up at 7 a.m. for breakfast at Seven Dwarfs Restaurant, the little hole-in-the-wall Greek place that Doug and I used to eat at every Thursday morning. I was indecisive about what breakfast to get--but, fortunately our regular waitress was there and just told me which one I was getting. That was helpful.

Then, we went golfing at the course that Doug, Marc and Emily and I have shot several times. The group increased by 3 for this--my old boss Ted, my dad and my brother jumped in. I shot two very good first holes. And then, it all went to heck.

My dad was the opposite. He had a rough start and then just went nuts. In fact, he had the best shot of the day. There's a hole with a lake between the tee and hole. To get from the first part of the fairway to the green, there's a little wooden bridge. Dad somehow managed to get his ball to go through the bridge.

I almost beat that shot though. On the same hole, my ball was a line drive -- right for the lake. I yelled, "Oh No!" but just then, the ball hit the water and skipped off the surface of the lake like a skipping stone. In fact, it bounced at least 6 times on the water's surface. It almost seemed to be rolling on the water. Ted goes, "Dude, it's gonna make it to the other side!" It finally sank about 3 feet from shore. But man, it would have been legendary had it made it to the other side!

The next stop on the Bachelor Party Gauntlet was perhaps my favorite touch. First, we added three more guys--my old youth group protege Mike, my high school friend Josh and my college roommate Jeff. And then, we arived at the Sox game 2 hours early to tailgate. I've never actually tailgated at U.S. Cellular, but have always wanted to. It was very fitting and super fun.

Any Perfect Todd Day needs the White Sox involved and so we met that quota. But even better, the Bachelor Day got it's needed proportion of Grilled Meat--a necessary man-day element.

This is when I started drinking. Someone brought Mike's Hard Lemonade and that got dangerous. I had three while grilling out and so when Chad recommended I grab a fourth beer for the walk to the ballpark, I was foolish enough to agree. (After all, it's like a 500 yard walk, you don't want to die of thirst!)

As soon as we entered the park, Jeff found Mike's Hard Lemonade on sale. With that gift added, I got to a good loopy feeling, had fun watching the game, and then didn't touch any more alcohol for the day.

However, this stop was the one black mark on the day. This is the only thing that kept it from being perfect: The Sox lost a close game that went down to the wire. A win would have made June 9 the Perfect Todd Day. Doug should have had a talk to those guys--especially Rob Mackowiak. (After all, he managed to arrange for perfect weather...why not a White Sox winner?)

After the game, we all drove to Weber Grill for dinner. Some of us made it quicker than others. My car had some navigational issues. (Surely not my fault. It's my day, I could do no wrong.) But, we eventually made it.

I'd never been to Weber before but it was a good choice because it added a second shot of Meat to the day. Really, with the Sox and Meat so well represented at my Bachelor Party, the only thing more Todd would have been if we watched Star Wars and then fought robots with the help of monkeys wearing people clothes.

It was also really great that The Intended met us all at Weber Grill. It was nice to have her involved. After all, how could my Perfect Day not include her? Awwww....

Here's a group shot she took at Weber: (The bronze guy in the middle is a statue.)

Oh, and note that Marc (far left) and Mike (next to me in the front row) are wearing Sox garb. They are Cubs fans. And so, that also made my day perfect--seeing my heathen friends coming to the light.

After dinner, we went to Dave & Busters to finish the night with lots of gun shooting and car racing. By the end of the night, my trigger finger was sore. It was kinda crazy to keep up with everyone in the busy place. But it was great having everyone there. In fact, Emily and Charissa joined us at Dave & Busters to visit with the newly Ohio-based Doug.

And that's really what made International Todd Day so great. Sure, the Sox, The Intended, all the Meat, and the Zombie Shooting made my bachelor party Todd-rific, but being with all my best friends all day is what really sent it over the top. Good friends, Good times.

(Yes, this is me and Doug in a portable love seat. What?)

No comments: