4.12.2006

Lightning Round!

Today on PTOIT... I find I have lots of things to write about today. So I offer you a lightning round of issues:

Item: Today's Christian ran a recent excerpt from the book I co-wrote, The unGuide to Dating. The article was pulled from our chapter about the lack of committed, active single men in the church. In it, I say that while this apparent trend is bad for the whole dating equation (less men = more women without men), the far more important issue is the state of our faith. Why aren't men in church? What does this say aobut our faiths? And our churches?

The article seemed to have struck a chord. We've gotten a ton of letters about it. But of them all, this one is my favorite. A man wrote:


"Todd says that 'Each of us men needs to focus on strengthening our walks, finding a mentor and/or a protege, and becoming active in he local church.' Uhh, Todd perhaps you should also focus on FINDING A WIFE?"
Really? That would help strengthen my faith? That would get more men in the church? I think the best part of this e-mail is the notion that I haven't thought of that. "Wait a minute. A wife? Hmmm. Maybe I will start looking for one of those soon...Right after this episode of Deal or No Deal..."

Item: Here's an amazing British news story entitled, "Second World War Secret Weapon: The Lowly Prune." This is not news to me. I have always viewed the prune as a weapon. To my digestive tract.

Item: "The Dreamer" made a good point in the comments to yesterday's blog. She mentioned that being a White Sox fan this year means putting up with a lot of people saying, "You aren't the champs anymore. That was LAST year." I have faced this too and I think that is said due to a lack of understanding why I bring up the championship so much.

I know it doesn't mean anything for our chances this year. I know it doesn't make us any better than anyone else this season. I know it is in the past. But the point is: I still HAVE that. That can't be lost. No one can beat us enough that it goes away. No one can catch up and steal it. It is ours forever. And that gives me a comfort with my team I haven't before experienced. They could never win another game, and I have that. I am like the Virgin Mary--I will hold those memories and ponder them in my heart. Forever. (And somewhere Kanye is saying, "Forever-ever? Forever-ever? ")

Item: Not long ago, Doug and Marc and I were hanging out when they brought up reading "Pa-toyt." It took me a minute to realize that they were talking about this blog. Sure, I often call it PTOIT (Putting the Odd in Todd) but I hadn't heard it said aloud. I was like, "Huh. That sounds cool." But since then, I've had a new idea. I think that the proper pronunciation will now be the French version: "Puh-Twaa." Why? Becuase it is more pretentious and snooty.

Item: As I read this news story, I just feel bad for the other Jon Stewart. Here you get all excited because someone wants you to speak for their group and then, all of a sudden, not only do they cancel but they act like it's a big crisis that you are the one they signed. Hang tough, Other Jon Stewart. Hang tough.

Item: Happy Easter. May God use this holiday to bring you closer to him.

Special Feature: Quotes of the Week

"I think I liked you better when you just hit people with your stick." --Lost's Bernard to Mr. Eko.

"I like you the way you are." -Charlie to Mr. Eko.

"I don't have any crazy testimony stories where I shot a guy in Mexico or got a tattoo on my back." -Christian singer/songwriter Jadon Lavik

"Jamie Foxx used to live behind me. The sounds coming from his house were much different than the sounds coming out of mine. Ervery other night, I could hear a DJ from a party he was having. At my house, there was an ambulance siren and some kid chasing another kid with poop." -Ray Romano, in EW's Stupid Questions.

4 comments:

derfman said...

Todd, hey, did you read the Amazon review comment from the one dude ripping on Camerin and other Christian single women? Dang, that dude needs to chill... looks like he was rejected one time too many... If the ratio is as bad as they say maybe I need to start visiting some of these groups to help the sisters out...

P.S. Is that "crazy fan" a pic of your "ladyfriend"? If so, nice job, man.

Mark Ahn said...

By the way, ever since Thome's been tearing it up:

-Konerko: 1128 OPS, 3rd in runs scored

-Dye: 1040 OPS

-Iguchi: .388 OBP, top 10 in runs scored

If Pods ever gets his magic pixie dust back, Sox'll be straight up killin' kids on offense.

All this to say, tell the Cubs/Native Americans/Tigers fans to shut up.

the todd said...

Derfman, that's my sister. Back off, man :)

Mark Ahn said...

oh man. i saw that comin' from a mile away.