4.17.2006

You're such a good reader! Yes you are!

This is Lydia. Lydia is a baby. And an adorable one at that. Because of that, she is a force to be reckoned with when she comes to your office. Yesterday, the productivity level of the second floor of our office dipped by 35.8 percent when Lydia came for the day with her mom, Esther.

As Esther got some work done, normally respectable professionals put on shows, talked in baby voices, pretended to be very entertained by simple toys and balls, and even made a stuffed warthog dance (yah, I'm basically describing me here). There is just something about babies that changes ya. There's something that doesn't let you just walk by without at least one glance, tickle or attempt to make them smile. I know this for a fact (hence the warthog dance--which did, yes, create many giggles).

For a little while, Lydia set up camp on a little playmat outside my door and I got to watch everyone walk by her and interact with her. It got me thinking about how we will give so much attention to babies, but pass by each other in the hall without a glance once we're grown up. Why doesn't anyone walk by my office and say, "You are so big, yes you are! You are doing so good! Yes you are!" Why don't people walk by me and try to make me smile with funny faces or tickles?

Hmmm, I am not advocating that. I'm just saying.

3 comments:

Mark Ahn said...

doublem can pinch todd's cheeks tho and make cooing noises, while he drinks his chai.

and then knock it over onto his keyboard. yes.

HopefulLeigh said...

I actually think that AJ could stand to get a haircut. Joe looks cute with longer hair but AJ's locks tend towards mullet-esqueness and that's just not attractive and definitely not magical.

the todd said...

Hmm, Leigh is right. Baseball owners should mandate haircuts based on how their players look. Cotts: OK.
AJ: Try something shorter.
Johnny Damon: Grow the beard back.