6.27.2006

Grubby Thomas Edison

Tuesday Special Feature: Fun with Google

Today's Search Terms: "Phonograph" and "War"

The Results:



Photo #1: This is apparently Thomas Edison. Well, at least that's what the file name said. He looks awfully grubby. I guess it makes sense that a great inventor wouldn't always be dressed up and snappy though. I guess the reason I find it odd is that I am used to seeing all those recreations of history where everyone from the past is wearing nice suits and sharp hats while doing anything--even inventing. But hey, Thomas Edison can be grubby.

Photo #2: Today's feature is quickly becoming a history lesson. Serves me right for not having either search term related to monkeys. Well, this picture is hard to make out but it is of soliders in the trenches listening to a phonograph. I like to imagine they are listening to Kanye West.

Photo #3: The caption points out that this is a posed photo of Germans opening Christmas gifts. They don't look very happy. But maybe that's because all they got were Kaiser Helmets.

Photo #4: This is the kind of historical photo I am used to! See how snappy everyone looks? That man on the left is awfully keen. Not grubby at all. This is how I imagine the phonograph being invented. Either that, or they are trying to ease drop across the river. And check out those things under the table. Was Edison toying with time travel? Robots?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're pics are cool, but I think it is your vocabulary with words like Snappy and Keen definitely win you The Archaic Word User of the Day award! It certainly fits the bill of your posting. Snazzy! You're tops, kid!

rjcraig said...

Huzzah, Mr. Hertz, huzzah! I, too, approve of your use of language that hasn't been de rigueur since Zoot Suits were fashionable. Todd, you're the bee's knees.