6.20.2006

Huggability

Today was our office's Quarterly Luncheon. They celebrated my fifth year anniversary at CTi. I can't believe I've been here for 5 years. I remember my first luncheon and seeing people being honored for five years and thinking, "Dang, they must be like lifers here." Well, now I am one of those old grisly vets.

Part of being honored at these events is that you stand up front of everyone (we have about 160 employees) and your supervisor talks about you. I could not believe I was so nervous about this. I am an extrovert. I love attention. And I've always done plays and talks and stuff. I rarely get nervous. But today was the first time in a long time that my stomach was funny because of getting in front of people. I finally figured out that it wasn't being in front of people, it was being in front of people and being praised. Sure, I could have gotten up there and done the talking. Or even put on a little puppet show. No problem. But I didn't like the idea of standing in front of people and hearing nice things said about me.

Val was also honored today and I told her that I almost brought my GameBoy to play while my boss was talking so I had something to do. But I didn't. Instead I listened while Chris read "7 Reasons Why Todd is Cool."

Number one is "his high level of huggability." After this, I got to hug both Chris and a major bigwig in front of everyone. It was good times. Chris didn't explain it today to the staff, but there is a story here. The story is that CTi is looking for a new CEO and Chris asked our staff one day for a trait that we would want in our new leader. I e-mailed back one word: "Huggability."

So my thinking is that maybe I am in line to be the new CEO now?

2 comments:

rjcraig said...

As a former boss of this blog's author, I can attest that he, indeed, becomes quite nervous when praised, especially publicly. Which is why I chastised him with increasing frequency over the years and often humiliated him in front of his peers. He was the best darn assistant I ever had, but I continually told him he stunk because I knew that's what he needed to be motivated.

And I'm not sure Todd was so huggable but he certainly enjoyed hugging other staffers and the occasional stuffed giraffe.

the todd said...

Darn it, Randy. We agreed to never talk about the giraffe.