8.24.2006

The Morality of Freebies

Last weekend, I saw the World Series trophy again. And surprisingly, it became a moral issue.

My Intended and I were at the State Fair with her dad and the trophey was set to arrive at the U.S. Cellular tent at 1. We got there shortly before 11:30 and got in line (we were numbers 4,5, and 6!).

Behind us in line were three high school boys and one of guys' younger brother. They were sitting in an area of the tent right next to the booth's supplies. The young brother, we'll call him The Beav, was even sitting on one box of U.S. Cellular beach balls.

As I watched, The Beav began to take deflated beach balls from the box and distribute them to brother Wally and his miscreant friends. When they each had stuffed at least 2 a piece into their pants' pockets, I'd had enough. But I held my tongue. And then, Beav pulled out a can cozie from another box and handed it to a kid who looked like a Laguna Beach extra.

I caught Wally's eye and said, "Did they say you could have those?"

Wally: "We just grabbed a ..."

Me: "I know you're just grabbing. You're grabbing whatever you can. No more taking what isn't yours."

Now, I am proud that I stood up for what I believe in. I am glad that I said something. But I have other thoughts too:

1) The stuff they were taking were freebies. No, the US. Cellular people had not yet begun passing this stuff out to people. They weren't out for the taking, but they were there for eventual giveaways. So was taking them really wrong?

2) Knowing high school boys, I know my scolding didn't matter one bit. They probably kept at it when my back was turned. In fact, they've also probably made me into a big joke and snicker about me telling them to stop stealing freebies.

3) After I said what I did, I found myself kinda paranoid that they'd try to do something to me. I guess I've heard too many stories about good samaritans getting beat up when they were trying to do good. So I was kinda worried. I just didn't want them to try something like putting Snakes in My Car.

Having this happen at the viewing of the trophy was sad. It was like bringing evil into the garden of Eden. Such a wonderful, joyous event torn down by darkness. Surely, they can't be Sox fans...

Anyway, seeing the trophey was fantastic. Since My Intended and I have gotten pics with it before, we took this opp to take a comedic photo. I will post it when I get the film back (the digital is in the shop). We also got free limited edition World Series baseballs and got to see one of the rings. No, I didn't win my ring in the big raffle. But I got to see one and it was amazing.

After the State Fair, my weekend of fun continued with a day in Chicago. My Intended and I went to the King Tut exhibit at the Field Museum (awesome) and the Lincoln Park zoo. I love monkeys. I saw a baby one and his dad kept grabbing him by the face with his foot. I wish i could do that. We topped off the day with a ride on a paddle boat shaped like a giant swan.

Sign I Am a Geek #412: The entire time I was looking at the amazing ancient Egyptian finds from Tut's tomb, I kept comparing them to 1994 sci-fi movie, Stargate.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your tale is very Aesopian. Might I suggest labelling it the fable of "The Beaver, the Warlus, and the High School Punks Charged with Petty Larceny".

Kudos,
Steve