8.23.2006

A Theory Out the Window

So, I had this theory. I think I shared it. And now I retract it.

The theory was thus: "Because my beloved White Sox won the World Series last year, the losses and failures that are surely going to come will hurt less. We won't win every year, but I don't need it because this was enough. I will always have that taste of victory, and can now smile through seasons like the 88 previous to 2005. August swoons, slow starts, slumps, everything--I can handle them because I've seen the mountaintop."

Early this year during slumps and challenges I said, "You know whenever this happened in the past it was a lot harder to take beacuse I'd never seen a championship. Now, it's not so bad."

Well, that is a bunch of bunk. This current rollercoaster of winning and losing is rough. We've lost 2 of 3 to the Twins who are a game behind us for the wild card. And now Detroit has finally learned to beat us. And they are increasingly out of reach. And you know what? It hurts. It hurts bad. Yah, I will always have 2005. Yah, I will ponder those memories in my heart. And no one can ever take that away from us. But, right now right here, this is painful. If we don't make the playoffs, it will be killer. And past success won't really make it feel better. I want it again. And losing sucks. This will be a very long 88 more years...

Or will it? Are we really done this season? Is this it? I feel a depressing black cloud hovering over us. Our heads seem to be on the guillen-tine. And it seems hopeless.

But let's take a step back. Just over a week ago, we were on the top of the world. We beat the Yankees 2 of 3. We swept Detroit. We had momentum. We can get that back. There's no reason why not. Not long ago, the Red Sox were handing the Yankees their lunch--and now who's the boss? Anything is possible. Besides, it's not like we're 6 games out of the last playoff lot. We are leading the wild card! The rollercoaster is stressful and I'm pretty sure I've had three heart failures already. But we're still in it.

This is still an exciting August. And will be a great September. This is still baseball at its best. Things just appear worse than they are. On the Inside the White Sox blog today, the VP of communications writes:

"This is not the end of the world ... it just may sound like it and feel like it. We need to win some games. We need to score runs, and we need to have our starting pitchers step up. No doubt. We need to step up. It is worth noting that in each of the last three games (all key), we faced a pitcher who likely will finish among the AL Top 5 in Cy Young Award voting. Like a basketball team that doesn't shoot well, it is tough to look like you have energy when you are facing good pitching.

Let's take stock of where we stand ...
*37 games left
*We still hold the lead in the wild card
*We play our closest challenger for the wild card six times (three and three)
*We rank second in the Majors in runs scored
*We have the fourth-best record in baseball
*We have a 42-33 (.560) record against teams remaining on our schedule If we play at that same pace over the final 37 games (21-16), we finish 94-68

But, of course, we need to play the games."

The American League Wild Card is ours to go out there and get. (And more maybe?) And if we don't get there, it will be dissappointing. It will hurt. But I'll still love my Sox. So, all I have to say is this:

Go, Go, Go White Sox.

3 comments:

the todd said...

These are trying times. It affects all of us. Even the unborn.

HopefulLeigh said...

You're right- every loss is more painful this year. I still have hope though- we will make it to the play offs, of that I'm sure. The White Sox just didn't want us to have a boring August or September. Good job guys!

the dreamer said...

It was good to win last night.

Sooooooooo goooooooood.