8.09.2007

Meet Hector

This is Hector. He's my new pet cricket. Or, I guess, office mate.

There's a bad leak in the corner of my office. Since it's been rainy lately, water has splashed down the brick and the whole office is damp. Apparently, water is not the only thing getting in.

I first noticed Hector (thanks to Camerin's observant eye) yesterday morning. He's pretty good sized and doesn't move. I've seen him twitch or step side-to-side a few times. But for the most part, he stays right in his little spot.

The appearance of Hector has created within my office a tiny microcosm of the Iraq debate. It's a little Just War drama going on here.

Here's the dilemma: Hector has done nothing to me. He's just there. But, some people who have seen him feel that he poses an immediate threat. They would argue that I should launch a preemptive strike on hector because of the potential danger. He may jump onto my head or into my food.

On the other hand, I could live in peace with Hector. I could draw some stringent boundaries and sanctions. If he broaches those, than an attack is warranted.

For the time being, this second policy is my choice. We're getting along fine. We have an understanding--he stays in his spot, I don't squish him. We've discussed it and I think we agree on all the terms.

I'd like to give peace a chance for two reasons (besides Hector's well-being): 1) He's so big, that killing him is kinda of an icky proposition. I am fine squishing bugs, but when they get this big, it's like squishing a squirrel or something. 2) He's in a bad spot to reach. To kill him, I'd have to use my Office Golf Club or stand perilously astride my bookcase and desk.

So for now, we will see how the arrangement plays out.

No comments: