8.12.2007

Quote of the Year?

This weekend Pure Heart and I went to Central Illinois to visit her family. We did a lot of eating out, saw Hairspray (amazing! funny! Best Supporting Actress of the Year: John Travolta!), and went to the State Fair (where we actually ran into my dad, too).

We then went to Decatur to see the wife's grandma. We had a wonderful time and we both wish we could see her more often. She takes great care of us. I wouldn't ever make fun of her (she's a very informed, sharp and clever lady), but she sometimes says aloud whatever comes to mind. And I love it. The last time we were there, Granny gave us this wonderfully sincere quote to remember her by: "I wouldn't normally say this to anyone--but I know I am among friends: I just have to say I've become disillusioned by monkeys."

I was hoping that this visit might produce another out-of-the-blue, completely serious comment. I'm happy to report that Granny not only topped herself, but vaulted her monkey quote with this:

"Do you know what a third nipple looks like? Because I think I have one."

To be honest, this comment didn't come out of nowhere. Her son is a nurse and she was seeking his expertise. But, I sure wasn't expecting that sentence to be said. I was on my way out of the room when she said it and I decided it was best if I just kept walking.

When I came back, the verdict was that it was just a mole.

No comments: