8.27.2007

A Tale of Two Sox

Before Friday night, I'd never left a Chicago White Sox game early. But as the 8th inning began, I just didn't care anymore. I didn't want anymore to do with this 10-1 loss and I couldn't bear listening to Red Sox fans anymore. And I'd had enough of my White Sox. It wasn't fun anymore.

Back up a minute: My afternoon started with heading downtown on the train for a screening of a new Brad Pitt western about Jesse James. (It's an interesting and artistic--but ultimately too plodding--character study.) Afterwards, I grabbed the Green Line to U.S. Cellular. The second game of Friday's double-header didn't start until 7:11 and I arrived at about 5:30.

The Green Line is a few blocks East of the ballpark in the ITT campus. As I walked west through the streets, I was reminded of the last time I was on those sidewalks: October 4, 2005. It was Game One of the playoffs. My friend Mike and I had to park about 4 miles east of the ballpark (maybe not 4 miles. That'd be in the water, I think...). As we got to the ITT campus walking along 35th Street, we could hear the roar of the crowd--even across busy 90/94. It was as if there was so much energy and excitement that the park could barely hold it in. Approaching that stadium that day was the first time I really got a glimpse of what was happening: We had hope.

Two years later, I was walking the same path to the stadium. We were again playing the Red Sox. But with no hope. In fact, by the end of the weekend, we'd be beaten 46-7 in four games. During that walk, two strikingly contrasted but connected moments as a fan came together. I remembered the high as I now experience the low. In fact, mid-way through the game I told Pure Heart that I needed to go home and watch my 2005 DVDs to remember what winning feels like. Losing stinks, especially when you are a fan through thick and thin.

It's even harder to make it through a hopeless and embarrassing season when you have to sit in your home stadium surrounded by more Red Sox fans than those of the White Sox. How does this happen? I've noticed it since 2004: Red Sox fans outnumber us at games. They are everywhere. Is it because they are now becoming America's team? Or because many East Coasters move to the Chicago-area? Or is it because their fans travel to support their team? How can White Sox fans allow this? Why aren't we at the games? Well, maybe it's the same reason why I left early. It's just sad to be there.

And while I'm embarrassed about our year, mad about Kenny William's incorrect guesses about our bullpen, and letdown about being in August with nothing to play for, I am still a fan. They are still my team. I root for the White Sox because they are the White Sox. Not becuase they win. That's why there are Royals fans or Devil Ray fans. Because being a fan is about love. Not results.If it wasnt, I'd be a Yankees fan. Or a Red Sox fan. (shutter)

People have asked me this season (and my Dad reported this happening too) why I'd still cheer for a team doing poorly when a team on the other side of town is worth cheering for this year. The thing is: my love for the Sox isn't about success. It's unconditional. I'm a White Sox fan the same as I am a member of my family. I can't change that. It's just the way it is. I may be mad at family members or embarrassed of mistakes, but I can't change that I'm one of them. It's just who I am. And this is my team--good or bad.

During my two hours alone at the stadium before game time and before Pure Heart made it through traffic, I enjoyed just soaking in the scene outside the stadium and in. I had a pretzal, listened to music, watched other fans explore the park. As I stood at one fence overlooking the field I realized, I love it here. Even in the bad times, this is my home. I watched the grounds team prepare the field. I talked to a merch vendor. I saw kids taking grounders in the Fundamentals area and daydreamed of taking my kids and introducing them to this love. I felt good in that stadium, watching my old faves and new prospects, and sharing memories of the White Sox with my wife.

But then the Red Sox kept scoring. And kept scoring. Unfortunately, I had no recourse on Boston. One White Sox fan kept chanting "Red Sox sucks..." but, ummm, they don't. We do. All we can do is look forward to a time when our team can get their own revenge on the Red Sox and other teams. We can only bleed, cry and root for our team until the good times come again.

And remember 2005 when we whipped Boston 14-2 in a playoff game. And in 2004 when two Boston fans left and my friend Paul and I ate their peanuts. That taught them.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I don't advocate rooting for "the other" team in this city. I wouldn't do it either. But what Cubs fans finally did at the end of last year's horrible season was to stay away from the ballpark. For years, the fans still filled the park despite the mediocre product on the field. Then finally towards the end of last season, fans stayed away. Empty seats were visible and management panicked. You won't get as much when selling a bad team. Thus the overspending spree to build a slightly-better than mediocre team. (We'd only be in 3rd place in any of the other divisions right now)

All that to say: when your team is bad - why are you putting money in the owner's pocket? Doesn't that tell them that it doesn't matter how bad the team is, you'll pay for a ticket regardless? It only encourages owners to not have to spend money to get talent.

Attendance at your weekend home games are still over 90% full. (I'm bored, so looking back on game stats) Your attendance is not down much. The average attendance for the month of August in 2005: 35789 | 2006: 37467 | 2007: 35504

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kim said...

Todd, quit your whining, at least you know what it feels like to win.

the todd said...

That's right, Kim. I do have that advantage now. And like I said, being able to remember those highs are a great consolation that I realize other fans don't always have. I know my blessings.

And Marc, you're right. But Sox fans are well-accostomed to not attending games in order to demand a better product. That's not news to us. In fact, that's what led to us getting our World Series. And perhaps is exactly the example and initiative that what pushed the Cubs fans to do the same.

So why not this year? Well, the situation on the South Side is not the same as was the case on the Northside that led to last year's message-sending boycott.

First of all, last year wasn't just the first year of under-performing for the Cubs like it is in 2007 for the Sox. It was the last straw for Cubs fans. It came after years (since 2003) of the Cubs not spending money to better the team because they were getting crowds. When that stopped last year, a new focus on winning had to be found.

That process happened on the Southside earlier than on the Northside. The Sox don't have the luxury of crowds just coming no matter how the team does. We aren't the Loveable Losers. We don't have a milestone ballpark. So, they had to spend money to put together a winning team in order to get attendance. And it worked--they won and they got crowds.

With a successful last two years, the situation is different than the example you give of the Cubs. The Sox haven't had years of recent losing compounding the frustration. Most of these tickets leading to the high attendence you noted (including mine)were bought before the season--when this dissappointment wasn't clear. After all, we won 90 games last year.

So, if ownership spends no money this offseason and tries to coast again (which I don't beleive will happen) next year, then you will see Sox fans not going to the park. We've done it before, it worked, and we will again. In fact, Cubs fans used to make fun of us for not supporting our team even when bad. (And it amuses me that Cubs fans are now encouraging Sox fans to not buy tix in order to send a message when they used to have a losing team, flock to games, and mock us for not filling our stadium.)I guess that perspective changes when you see the results it can provide.

(And I know they deleted their comment, but who has the user name CTI? Is it Harold Smith?)

Unknown said...

I'm not mocking you. I wish Cub fans would have done it sooner. It's been frustrating to see the ballpark packed watching a crappy team. And honestly - that park would have to be incredibly empty for it to make a difference. I'm sure if it weren't for the impending sale, there wouldn't have been this spending spree to make an attempt at improvement.

You made a good point about the tickets being bought before the season or earlier in the year. Walk-up sales don't really exist anymore. And the attendance stats are based on tickets sold - not seats filled.

There was an interview with Reinsdorf last week (was it on the Score?) where he basically stated he thinks the fans are being very supportive (based on those ticket sale numbers) but he probably doesn't want to hear that people bought those tickets a long time ago and most likely wouldn't have bought them if they knew the team was going to do this.

Look - I'm more baffled by Cubs fans than anything else. Wrigley Field is a craphole. I'd love to have a modern park with modern amenities somewhere else. Turn Wrigley into a museum and public park. But let's allow the players play on a major league caliber field.

I'm probably one of the rare cynical Cub fans. Most of them are blind. This is not our year. We are a mediocre team in the worst division - and we'll be lucky if we're not swept in the first round of the playoffs if we make it that far.

But you are right. Fans need to stay true to their team. Not jumping on bandwagons. Cubs only won 66 games last year - downright awful. But that didn't make me root for the White Sox.

the todd said...

Wonderful points, Mr. Miller. Good discussion.

I support making Wrigley a museum. And I agree with you in that the Cubs have a hard road to tow this year to win the series. When I saw the Red Sox play this weekend I thought, "Maybe it doesn't matter who wins in the National League." Maybe Boston won't win it all, but man, it's gonna take a lot to beat them.

I honestly fel bad for the Cubs fans that have convinced themeselves that this is the year. I think you need to win some playoffs games before you get too excited. Or, you know, at least clinch a berth into them.

Anonymous said...

It's been a tough year for our Sox. Tonight I was asked if I would root for the Mariners (my aunt) or the Cubs (my sister's boyfriend) for the rest of the season. Without hesitation, I said I could cheer for the M's for the postseason, but I would never root for the Cubs. A true fan cannot cheer for the "other" team. However, if by chance the Cubs were to ever win it all, I would not have nearly as much pain/anguish/depression/etc. as I would have had if the Sox hadn't won in 2005.

Dale

Unknown said...

I'm guilty of this too, even though it's ridiculous. I don't know why there is such anger and hatred towards the "other" team in Chicago. Whichever "other" team anyone may be referring to.

If the two teams competed in the same division, it'd be a different story. But really, there shouldn't be any reason to hate on the other team - unless it's misplaced anger against your own team. Maybe that's the problem. Both teams never seem to do well at the same time, so it's just easy to displace your anger and frustrations at your own team on the cross-town team that is faring better.

Cubs-Sox are not rivals, despite that the media loves to portray them as so. Two series against each other in June and July is not going to determine the pennant. Animosity should really be directed against the teams in your own division.