1.12.2007

Adventures in Eating

Yesterday I did one of those things that after the fact are always classified under "It seemed like a good idea at the time."

As many of us know, I tend to be fiscally careful (read: cheap). I save money where I can. One of those places is on cereal. I am a big cereal eater (in that I eat a lot--not that I eat big cereals. I eat the normal size cereals like everyone else.) I eat cereal every morning. Often, I eat it for dinner. I love me some cereal. However, cereal can cost you an arm and a leg. Most cereals can cost about $4 for 13 ounces. And so I buy these knock-off brands that come in bags from Dominicks. There's quite a selection and they are all generic versions of real cereals: Apple Yos are Apple Jacks, Silly Circles and Fruit Loops, etc.

These bags sell for $4 for 32 ounces. And often they go on sale for $3. Great deal huh?

Well, yesterday the deal got better. I went to Dominicks because I needed more cereal and I needed cash. To my surprise I found that Dominicks has all of their generic bagged cereal on clearance-- for $2 a bag. $2 for 32 ounces! Two things went through my head: 1) Wow, that's a good price. I should get more than one bag. 2) If they are gonna carry this anymore, I need to stock up.

I started grabbing bags. And then I went to go get a cart. That should have been my first clue that things were getting out of hand.

I ended up with 11 bags. That 352 ounces of cereal. Yah, for only $22. But, it's still 352 ounces. At the time, it seemed like a good idea. And it is a good price. I will eat it all eventually. I do go through cereal very quickly. But now, I am thinking, "Can I eat it all before it goes bad?" But honestly, this stuff is so sugary, I am not sure it could go bad. It might outlast me.

The funny irony is that this morning, as I was preparing myself my first bowl of about 5,000 this purchase guarantees me, I opened the fridge. And yup, there was about a tablespoon of milk in the carton.

Maybe that will go on sale too so I can stock up.

So Much Meat
Speaking of spending money, The Intended and I went to The Melting Pot with her sister and two friends (shout out to loyal reader Megan!). That place is just an eating adventure. I love the fun and interactivity fondue brings to a night out. We had a lot of fun trying new things, stabbing each other with those little pitch forks and fishing lost potatoes out of the fondue pot.

But I have to admit--even though it wasn't my first time--I was so confused by the menu. I really didn't understand what we were ordering because everything had to be ordered for two. I didn't understand how the Intended and I were getting both lobster and steak. I kept trying to figure out, "Well, who gets the lobster? Who gets the steak? How does this work out?"

When it came, I finally understood. It's just a big plate of raw meat nuggets. The menu should say that: "For $70 you get a whole pile of assorted meats, for $80 dollars you get a bigger pile of assorted meats, and for $90 you get so much frickin assorted raw meat, you'll need a cart to get out." I'd understand that.

Quotes of the Week

"You don't watch The Office? I thought for sure you'd be into it. You could be ON The Office." --A co-worker. And I'm not so sure it's a compliment that she thinks I could be on the show.

"French women don't get fat." - A helpful spam e-mail.

"Now that James Brown is finally gone, I can now assume the position of Godfather of Soul. I'll have to change my business cards." - Designer Doug

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fleener may have claimed the title of Godfather of Soul too late...Colbert already did so on the Colbert Report...it was awesome. Although, it may be interesting to consider who would "duke it out" for the new title of Godfather of Soul...Fleener may just win over Colbert, or maybe a dark horse would enter the race...the possiblities are endless and fun to consider!

the todd said...

Hmmm, I'd like to officially claim the moniker Godfather of Soles. You cannot overestimate the importance of good arch support.

Unknown said...

I'll take "Ugly, unwanted Grand-stepson of Soul" if no one has claimed that yet. Everyone will look at me and shake their heads in digust while muttering under their breath, "Tsk...he likes disco."

Mark Ahn said...

people tell me the same thing about The Office. I just don't get it.