1.11.2007

Of Posses and Predators

You may have seen in the comments log the other day that Charissa wrote that she still has her famous Pictionary sketch of "Posse." I'd forgotten where it went to. But now I remember: Esther, Emily and I put it in a scrap book that was given to Charissa as a going away gift. (She of course then came back. So I think we should get our book back.)

Anyhoo, Charissa scanned it in and sent it over for everyone to enjoy. Here it is:


She drew the stick figures first. The size of them made us on her team think it was a family with a little baby. And then the gun threw us all off. And then, to try and get us to think "Poss...," she moved on to drawing a possum. However, we thought it was a steam ship. See the smoke stacks? Oh, and the thing poking out from under the porthole (or the eye, as it was meant to be) is it's tongue because he's playing dead.

The funny thing is, I remembered it as the "baby" holding the gun. Turns out, it's not the little one who's packing. I guess that's just revionist history. My memory just twisted the story around. It's kinda of like one really sad time in my history.

In high school, my friend John and I were really into the movie Predator. And in our little friend group, we'd constantly joke about lines and scenes. We'd act it out. We'd impersonate characters. We'd quote it. It was huge. Our big catchphrase was, "Billy, what are you doing?!?!?" yelled in a Schwarzenegger-like accent. It came from a scene where the soldiers' tracker, Billy, decides to face off with the predator and give his injured friends time to escape. As Billy waits for the predator, Arnold turns and yells at Billy. So, we would use the line all the time if we were in a hurry or we didn't understand what a friend was doing: "Billy! What are you doing???"

One night, we had a big Predator Party to show it to all the friends who'd never seen it. As we neared the scene, everyone gathered around. "Here it comes," John said. Billy leaves his squad and positions himself to fight the Predator on a bridge. He cuts himself with a knife so that the Predator will sense the blood. And then.... Arnold, on the path yards away, looks back and yells...


"Billy, Let's go."


Yah -- "Billy, what are you doing?" isn't even in the movie. John and I just convinced ourselves it was.

"Billy, Let's go" just isn't that good of a catch phrase.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't feel too bad, Todd. Joe Friday never said, "Just the facts, ma'am," Kirk never said, "Beam me up, Scotty," Bogart never said, "Play it again, Sam," and Cagney never said, "You dirty rat." And Darth Vader never said, "Luke, I am your father." --Ted

Unknown said...

I've heard this story about this drawing a dozen times and now that I've seen the actual pic, I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed in it.

I guess it was built up so much. The whole child holding the gun was the key to the whole ordeal.

But that possum does help make up for it. That thing is something else.