1.23.2007

The Chili With Too Much Garlic

On Saturday night, I joined a group from my church in serving at a homeless shelter. This program rotates from church to church. And once a month, a nearby church hosts guests over night and we bring and serve food.

Saturday was chili night at the homeless shelter. I volunteered, along with this woman Lori, to work the food line and dish out the chili. As we were preparing the food line, this man from our church explained there were three kinds of chili: regular chili, turkey chili and vegetarian chili. Lori took position to dish out the beef chili, and I said I would do the turkey and vegetarian chili.

I soon realized that the man who brought me the vegetarian and turkey chili was the cook of both. I realized this because he stood at the side of the food line and reacted every time someone chose to eat either one of his chilis. Now, you might think he'd say, "Good choice. I made that!" But no. Instead, he would try to talk people out of taking his chilis because he didn't feel they were good enough.

If a homeless guest asked for the turkey chili, he'd say, "Yah, you're gonna need to add a little salt to that. It's good, but some of the vegetable taste cooked off."

If someone chose vegetarian, he'd say, "There's a bit too much garlic in that one. It's good and hearty but it's very garlicy. I like garlic, but not that much."

He was kinda like a Overly Self-Critical Gourmet Chef serving a very sophisticated panel of judges. But you know, these people really weren't so much there to rate 4-star meals. They were hungry. They didn't care if you could only catch a slight hint of basil. They didn't care that it was a tad too garlicy. Some of these people hadn't eaten all day. They'd been sitting on park benches in 30 degree weather. They were happy it was hot. And that it was food.

Wedding Wednesday on Tuesday
So, all I have to say is that I am so glad that my wedding date is not in Febuary or October. Because if a playoff game of one of my teams landed on my wedding day, I would be in trouble.

Here are some interesting recent playoff-related stories:

Early Labor So Husband Can Watch Bears

Wedding Guests Cancel for Saints Game

Watch Saints Game at Bridal Show

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To go along with your postings on Wedding Wednesday...my favorite shower I've been to by far lately was a baby shower where we all watched the Bears beating Seattle to win in OT...made for funtimes...not that other showers haven't been great, but this was certainly unique!