5.08.2006

Fish-slapping and Locomotives

I celebrated Cinco de Mayo on Friday in the traditional festive way--by eating salsa and then seeing a musical. At least, I think that's what you're supposed to do. At work, we took out an hour and a half of the day to have a Salsa-making competition. 10 people entered. Did you know how many different kinds of salsa there are? One woman said that she found a website with 465 different recipes. That's about 456 more than I figured.

And then, I went to see "Spamalot," the musical based on Monty Python and the Holy Grail. My goodness. This is a fabulous show. I highly recommend. I usually get bored in musicals. But when there are people rolling off of dead carts, flinging cows and fish-slapping, I am very attentive. Nicely done, Mr. Python.

On Saturday, I went to prom. Really. I went as a chaperone. It was interesting for me to see prom from this angle. It felt different watching it unfold from the outside as an adult instead of being a teen caught up in the excitement of hormones and emotions.

Of course, the biggest difference I viewed was that my prom had no jets, coal mines or locomotives. You see, my prom was held at a small country club. Saturday's prom was at the Museum of Science and Industry. Holy cow. There is nothing like walking around a giant train set with hundreds of sweaty people gyrating to "Booty, Booty, Booty" just yards away. Oh, I hope The Youth of America appreciate the opportunities they have...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your zombie fighting dream sequence appears to be a blend of events from the movie Shaun of the Dead and the book The Diary of Anne Frank (with the Nazis replaced by zombies).

Mark Ahn said...

so the Cubs would be terrible zombie fighters. Nyuk nyuk.

the todd said...

Hmmm, I need to see Shaun of the Dead. I am told that I would enjoy it. Oh, and I think I missed the part in Anne Frank where she dived into a pool to stab Nazis with a pointy stick.

Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»

Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»