5.15.2006

You Are My Gumbo. Or Something.

So I was in church yesterday watching a Mother's Day skit. One of the actors at one point said, "Join us in singing 'You Are My Sunshine.' The lyrics are in your bulletin."

Being a person who does what I am told, I reached down for my bulletin. At that point, my sister gave me a funny look and said, "You need the lyrics for 'You Are My Sunshine?' They are pretty much 'You are my sunshine.'"

She's right. It isn't that difficult of a song. But in my defense, I figured we'd sing more than just the chorus. But we didn't. And it's a good thing. Have you ever read the verses of this song? It's not all that happy. It's about a guy who's lost his love. And there's lines like, "If you leave me/To love another/You'll regret it all some day" and "Now you've left me/And love another/You have shattered all my dreams."

What I didn't know was that it is also the Louisiana State Song. And the state has apparently tacked two verses on the end to apply to their state...so with no warning, the lyrics switch from unrequited love to gumbo.

Man, we should have sung that version in church.

8 comments:

derfman said...

So your sister lives in the area?

the todd said...

Man, someone is about to get banned from this blog.

the dreamer said...

I'm thinking "the derfman watch" has taken on a whole new meaning.

the todd said...

HAHA. Nice comment, Dreamer. I never thought the Derfman Watch would mean getting a restraining order.

the dreamer said...

Although, if I know the derfman--and I think I do--his interest in your sister is actually a secret ploy to get close to you, and/or to marry into your family.

That's just my theory.

the todd said...

Chaddaddy, you are about to be banned too. :)

Mark Ahn said...

just for the record, the derfman also has a sister

derfman said...

Heh, don't worry, Todd, I will not follow your "challenge" column and thus will not ask anyone out.

But, alas, the dreamer has exposed my plot! Now I have to think of some other ploys... 80's TV show memorabilia?