5.18.2006

The Rise of the Machines

I have long been warning of the robot revolution. I have nightmares about fighting armies of cyborgs. I get chills when I read about new developments in robotics. Even the invention of the robot vacuum made me think, "Yup, this is how the rise of the machines begins!" First they are vacuuming our floors and soon they will realize that they are stronger and less squishy than us. And who will be cleaning up whose trash then?

So, of course my interest was piqued this morning when I found this story about a technolgy conference. The CEO of the company that makes those Roomba robo-vacuums says robots will play a big role in military action and elder care. Helping old people? That's great (unless they convince the elderly to fight on their side). But military action? Hasn't anyone seen The Terminator? Or The Matrix?

So, stop the machines. Shut off your computers and ... wait. Finish my blog entry first.

In other news, Snoop Dogg has written a book and gotten kicked out of England forever. And Britney Spears is rapping. Maybe we'd be better off in the service of the robots.

Monkey Search 2006: Day Nine

Status Report: The plastic monkey from my desk is still gone. Hope is dwindling. However, new research has proven that monkeys may be able to talk. So, if Red Fez Monkey is reading this...please call.

Special Update: The experts back in the crime lab (well, Marc) have come through big time. Using special Aging Software, they've produced an image of what Red Fex Monkey may look like today. Here it is:


3 comments:

Mark Ahn said...

So, as a public service announcement to get out your message of robot supremacy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3sLE-Jk0rw

Anonymous said...

"You need to feel safe. And that's harder and harder to do nowadays, because robots may strike at any time."

"Old Glory Insurance. For when the metal ones decide to come for you - and they will. "

We laugh, but for how much longer?

derfman said...

I, for one, welcome our new Robot overlords. Did I say "overlords"? I meant "protectors."

http://www.jonathancoulton.com/2006/02/17/thing-a-week-21-chiron-beta-prime/