5.01.2006

Leading the Blind Through Hot Lava

So, this weekend was exhilarating and exciting. I went with our high school youth group to Bair Lake, Michigan, for a high ropes course retreat. (For those of you keeping track at home, Bair Lake is the site of the "Ski Incident" two winters ago.)

We started out with the typical team building games where you have to come together as a group to solve a problem. Suffice it to say that if our group ever gets caught needing to cross hot lava, we are set. Or if anyone goes blind and needs to be led through a forest? No prob.

After doing a morning full of games and activities that helped to build trust, emotional saefty and teamwork, we moved 25 feet into the air. I have never really had much of a problem with climbing or heights. (However, I have been known to dislike planes and flying. I think the difference is who is in control: me or a pilot? Is my life in my own hands? Or in the hands of earthly mechanics?).

But even with doing ropes courses before--and not being too afraid--there were still challenges (like the waist harness that basically catches guys from falling in a very bad part of the body to be caught at.)

This weekend's ropes course was more diverse than I'd ever done before. There were over 15 different obstacles (or elements) up there: balance beams, mini-zip lines, rope puzzles, tightropes, swings, pulley carts, cargo nets, etc. Some were very challenging. One element was just two platforms facing each other about 4 feet apart. And you were supposed to jump. Seriously.

The neat thing about this weekend (and really every time I am with the youth) is how I wasn't just the teacher or model. I was also a learner and follower. I only did that crazy jump because I saw a junior do it boldly and safely. I only figured out one mutha of a rope puzzle because a freshman guy talked me through it after figuring it out himself.

In fact, when we were are preparing to go up onto the course, there were two pretty freaked out girls. Another adult leader decided to be one's "Climbing buddy." I volunteered to be Andrea's buddy. As we got set to go up, I made a deal with Andrea--she could pick whatever elements we did and I would do them first. The catch? She'd then have to do it. And so, all day, we went around the ropes course together. I'd figure out how to do the crazy pulley cart, and then talk her through it. I'd walk the log. And then she would. I'd make the crazy jump and then she would. I'd coach her on and be a cheerleader.

The funny thing is that while I was so busy coaching Andrea on, I didn't realize all the elements I was conquering. I did stuff that I never would have on my own. If I'd not been Andrea's "Climbing Buddy," I would have just turned around at that jump platform. I wouldn't have done that mutha of a rope puzzle. But, I wanted to show her they could be done. I was so focused on showing her an example, that I just did it. I was busy being a big brother and didn't realize how I was growing.

This experience just reminded me again how God doesn't just call us to service to get the work done. Or even to just change others' lives. He does it because he knows service and leadership changes us too.

No comments: