5.12.2006

The Wild Kingdom

Many people know about my fear of bears. An irrational fear since I live in the Chicagoland area? Maybe. But you never know when one could shimmy out of it's zoo cage and terrorize the streets of the Chicago suburbs. They're crafty.

Well, imagine my fear when I saw this story about a hunter who found a half-grizzly, half-polar bear. The bears are building the perfect killing machine using their own genes!

But as I read the story, my fear relaxed. You see, I began to see this as not a threat but as a sweet story of forbidden love. A Polar Bear and a Grizzly. They came from different worlds. They were told it could never work. But love is a force of nature.

Speaking of the animal kingdom, I've been wanting to discuss a new film for awhile now. Shoot, what is the name of it... It is about these snakes. And they are unleashed on a plane. Dang, what is the name? Oh yah, Snakes on a Plane. I am sure you've heard about it.

Samuel L. Jackson is a cop on a plane with like 400 snakes. It doesn't come out until August but has become a pop-cultural phenomenon. There's fan sites for it. There's a huge cult following. In fact, the early clamoring for it from the Internet community pushed the film company to do reshoots to amp up the gore, camp and violence.

Because there is such a supportive and excited fan community behind it already, I figure it is about time for the backlash to begin. I think I might start an Anti-Snakes on a Plane movement. I mean how good can the acting of these snakes be? Maybe I will claim cruelity to animals. You know kids will see this movie and take their pet snakes on flights--without a proper dosage of Dramamine. And then we have all these air-sick snakes on our hands. Or maybe I will claim the film exploits snakes. Or Planes. Or flight attendants.

On the other hand, I think I may begin supporting this film to become a franchise. Think about how scary Bears on a Plane would be!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This kind of cross species breeding in nature is quite common. For example, mules are byproducts of horses and donkeys.

What would be really interesting is if they had discovered that the bear was part bear, part bologne on rye sandwich.

In this case, would we name it a "bearwich"?

rjcraig said...

Funny you should mention bears on a plane...When you have children, if you are attentive, you will notice an absurd number of clothing items and toys that depict bears piloting aircraft...planes, jets helicopters, even hang gliders. My wife and I have always found this odd. Cute, but odd. We never see any toys or clothes showing snakes flying planes though.

Mark Ahn said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Mark Ahn said...

Sorry, posted the wrong URL: Check out what Colbert had to say about bears: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBuXz4ozJLc