10.25.2006

Onward and Upward!

The ante has been risen for reader-generated "Todd Riding Stuff" photos. Holy cow. This amazing image from Charissa casts me as a brave (but happy) knight leading a battle charge on my very angry dragon. I like thinking of this picture as a snapshot of the last moment before I soar off to war. I'm saying both goodbye and "Look! I'm riding a freakin' DRAGON! Isn't that cooool?"

So, last night I went to Dominick's. They just re-did the store so everything looks different. Well, in the produce section they now have an entire kiosk of olives. Seriously. It's this big, round salad-bar like station of nothing but olives. Green ones, black ones, spiced ones, stuffed ones, etc. My first reaction was to think this is uber-random. I mean, what's next? A whole bar of cucumbers? Or asparagus? But then, I saw that one of the trays of olives was full of Blue-Cheese Stuffed Olives. At that point, I decided this Olive Bar was wonderful and I bought a 1/4 pound. I fell right into the Dominicks' trap!

WEDDING WEDNESDAY

At right you will see R2-D2. This is one of my most prized possessions. He's a cooler they use in gas stations to sell individual pop bottles. He was used when the original triology was re-released into theaters.

R2 was given to me for my high school graduation by my aunt and uncle. They got him because Aunt Kathy worked as a gas station manager. Sometimes I use R2 to hold ice and drinks at parties. But usually he holds my blankets and spare pillows.

So why is R2 featured here under Wedding Wednesday? Well, when I marry My Intended and we move in together, we will have limited space. And some things that are a tad "nerdy" may not quite fit into the decor of a married couple. Camerin brought up to me one day that I should open up discussion among my friends what R2 could now be used for. Camerin suggested a birdbath in the back yard.

Truthfully I already have a place of honor in my office earmarked for R2. Nothing says "professionalism" like a 4-foot droid! But for fun's sake, what are some creative ways R2 could be used post-wedding? Ideas?

5 comments:

Mark Ahn said...

It would take a little handiness, which you've already demonstrated a lack of, but you could make a rotating CD or DVD holder in R2's dome.

If all else fails, you can stash your contraband in there. Daddy always needs a cache.

Anonymous said...

Chaddaddy, I like your idea...a Star Wars nursery could be fun! And I like the name Luke even more...you would be given full credit for making the suggestion! ;)

Doublem, for the record, I think R2 is cool (Todd would tell you as much!)...and definitely have ideas for future use of him. However, space doesn't allow for him in the meantime.

So, you see, this is less of a "your stuff is too nerdy for her to accept" decision (for I am certainly nerdy, too). But rather, it is more of a joint decision (Yes, it has been discussed seriously) that there really isn't room at the present location.

As the "her" in the afformentioned quote...I feel the need to playfully clarify and applaud Todd's efforts to not villafy me presenting the present R2 dilema, even when common marital role stereotypes would dictate otherwise! ;)

Anonymous said...

I think we have found a winner! "Water tank for the cows" seems like a great idea. I bet that R2 could even be a basketball hoop for Landon (when it is not being used as a water tank).

Anonymous said...

Chaddaddy,

I was holding out hope that Landon would be the next hoopstar at HHS (hmm I guess the only real hoops star we have is Scott Meents and me) but after I hear about him being a wrestler and the first picture I see of him is in a green hat I am not so sure.

I will still hold a glimmer of hope for Landon (I do believe his Mother was a basketball player?). I will have to buy him a red tractor!

Anonymous said...

Chaddaddy,

A horse? What do you take me for? And by the way next time use smaller words. My head is spinning from all those big words, he he he.