10.06.2006

Rockin the Keytar

I got to check out MuteMath at the Park West last night. What a show. I've heard rumors about this band's amazing live show and I've seen their former band Earthsuit deliver an amazing live show (complete with a rock mainstay: jumpsuits!). But my expectations were exceeded. Mainly because of what you see above: A Keytar. Oh yah. You don't see that rocked too often. But it's just one of many instruments employed.

Every member played various intruments. There's electronics. There's odd percussion. There's beating on guitars with a mallet. And there's even this home-made insturment that looked like a metal detector with a gieger counter duct-taped to it. At one point, all four were on keys. At another point, they were all playing percussion--hitting anything that would make a sound (including stools, flourescent lights, and mic stands).



This photo was taken by Marc (I stole the top one formt he Internet. Thanks, Internet!). He, Emily and Charissa were standing up on a higher section of the floor to see better. At one point, the lead singer Paul Meany pulled a major cool rock star moment by running into the crowd...and right to Marc, Emily and Charissa. He stood by them, touched Charissa's leg and then jumped into the crowd. Charissa may not wash her pants ever again.

Another cool rock moment: The drummer was bleeding. In my understanding and perception of rock, hurting oneself and bleeding in a show--and continuing on--is big time. Way to take one for the rock, man.

PTOIT QUOTES OF THE WEEK
"What do you do when a rockstar is standing next to you?" -Marc

"I got ran over by a bike. It's how I roll." -My sister, returning to work all bloody after a very simple task to deliver paperwork to a nearby building went bad.

No comments: