2.16.2007

Glory Glory Hallelujah!

Shhh, do you hear that sound? In the distance?

It's the popping of a ball in a glove. Oh sweet glory, baseball is back. Spring Training is beginning and it feels so good. A peek at my windows weather widget tells me it's -4 degrees out. But just knowing that somewhere out there someone is playing baseball brings the sun out in my heart.

Do you know how we know it's time for baseball season? Hands are permanently chapped and red because the Illinois winter has been so cold for so long. Sunflower seeds begin to litter the ground. The White Sox unveil new catchphrases. The Coop mixes up a new bag of magic. Random old players are signed to minor league deals. Barry Bonds speculation fills 3/4 of sports radio airplay again. And of course, Kerry Wood gets hurt.

Speaking of that, I really got into the baseball spirit this morning by reading this article about weird baseball injuries. My favorite? "Back in the 1920s, Red Sox pitcher Clarence Blethen had a fondness for taking out his false teeth while he pitched. One day, he forgot to put them back in his mouth when batting. After getting on base, he tried to break up a double play at second base and he landed so hard on his butt that his own teeth bit him."

Only in baseball.

Quotes of the Week

"Your genes came with a longer inseam." -My sister.

"I love the sun." -My sister.

No comments: