2.05.2007

We Aren't Who We Thought We Were


Well, that wasn't so good. I'm not going to do any analysis or complaining. We all know what happened. The worse part, really, is that my self-dubbed "Todd Super Week" is off to a crummy start.

First, the Bears lose. And then we have the coldest morning in 11 years.

What's "Todd Super Week"? Well, it was to start with the Bears winning the Super Bowl, extend to my 30th Birthday on Wednesday, include about 7 Birthday trips to Salt Creek BBQ and end with Wicked and yummy Italian food on Sunday. But the Bears didn't win. And 11 years ago, I would have been young and spy enough to survive the cold. Now, I am brittle.

But really, what marks Todd Super Week isn't really about victory or not freezing to death. It's about people. And in the next couple of weeks I'll be surrounded by, pranked by and generally celebrated by my friends and family. And that's my favorite part of my birthday. That and Designer Doug's promise to do an interpretive dance of my birth.

Yesterday began the fellowship of Super Week. While the Bears' loss was disappointing, watching the game with my family was awesome. I don't think I will forget one moment in particular.

The game had just begun and my Dad, Chad and I were all on our feet, arms flailing, yelling, "Go Devin GO!," "Hester, Hester, Hester!" and "TOUCHDOWN!" And then we see that 4-month-old Landon is scared out of his mind. He's screaming and crying and scared by what these three men just started doing.

Poor kid. But wait until Super Bowl XLII. He'll be cheering for the Bears with us.

Update: Here's another funny Slate column about commercials. It's a good digest of the Super Bowl Ads, even though this just isn't an event anymore. They were pretty much the same ads you'd see anytime.

I love the Slate article's comment about Tostitos and the Civil Rights movement. He has some clever turns of phrase. However, unlike that writer, I liked both the "Paper. Rock. Scissors" and the sad dejected robot commercial. (But maybe I just like robots too much.) Also, I don't think the Slate guy realized that the Coke Grand Theft Auto Ad has been airing for months.

Anyway, The Intended also read the Slate article and responded: "The Slate column is good, but he didn't mention Blockbuster's Gerbil and Mouse commerical or the Wedding Auctioner...my two personal faves..." Great points. The sound effects alone of the mouse commercial killed me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gerbils with mice rock, but not as much as pandas!

the todd said...

Ah yes, the cutest things we've ever seen--baby pandas. Check it out: http://www.reuters.com/news/video?videoId=5762&src=020507_1146_ARTICLE_PROMO_also_on_reuters

Anonymous said...

I also liked the robot commercial a lot. I felt very bad for him. Maybe worse than I would have felt for a human. Sad robots are apparently too much for me.