5.21.2007

Night of Rawk!


Yesterday, I went with my friend Charissa and one of my youth groupers, Ethan, to see Family Force 5 play in Orland Park. Charissa knows the guys a bit now from working on two animated movies for them (the new one is now up on FF5's myspace page). So, we went to the venue early to sit down with the guys before the show to brainstorm ideas for the third Family Force movie (oh man, this one will be the best, I think. It probably won't be done until late summer/early fall because Charissa is now being hired by my magazine to do an online cartoon series. Whoo! That should debut this summer. )

I also figured out why the band likes Charissa so much. She bakes them cookies. But as Chap Stique says, "We like Charissa for many reasons." But I think the cookies help.

I've only seen the band do one long set--at Cornerstone. Other than that, I've just seen them perform 4 song sets on tour with TobyMac or at showcases. This time, as the headliners, they did a full set with lots of talking between songs and then ended with prayer. I had the opportunity to interview the guys last year at GMA and get a sense of their hearts. So I knew they were deeper than just Hulk gloves and silly names. But yesterday I saw it even more. Talking to them candidly backstage, hearing one expressing real excitement about getting married as a virgin, seeing them glorifying Christ with their words, and ending their show with a heartfelt prayer really touched me.

Oh yah, and they also tore my face off with rawk.

The show was at a church (with a great, huge stage!) and I think the concert crowd was mainly the church's own youth group kids. We were able to get really close to the stage--and because all the concert-goers were about 4 feet tall, I had a great view of all the excitement and theatrics (including choir robes).

During one particulary booming song, the girls in front of me were jumping up and down like crazy. That's great. The problem though was two-fold: 1) They both had super long hair that kept flying up into my mouth. 2) They were short and so I was very concerned that I'd get a skull to the chin. I kept looking back to Charissa like, "Save me." But the crowd was too thick for me to move. Finally, I moved back away from them and was able to rock out hair-free.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the top picture on this post because it looks like Josh is saying "oh I have such a horrible headache!"

the todd said...

I bet it was too much sugar from all the cookies. :)

Anonymous said...

You are right about the concert goers. They were so short that when I walked in, I thought I had accidently walked into the national midget convention.