5.29.2007

Weekend in Iowa

On Saturday, The Intended and I drove with The Incoming Mother-in-Law to Des Moines, Iowa, for a retirement party. Sadly, it was not my retirement party. But still, we had a lot of fun on our road trip. (How could you not, what with all of Iowa's great.... you know, whatever makes Iowa great.)

I am actually convinced that as you drive through Iowa on Route 80, there's actually only a one-mile stretch of road that is looped over and over. But hey, I am from Illinois so I really can't be calling the kettle black. At least Iowa has some hills now and then.

I've never been to Des Moines and so it was pretty cool. (Add one more to my Capital city list!) On Sunday, before the party, The Intended's Uncle was nice enough to take us on a tour to show us all the sights of Des Moines:

Seriously though, Des Moines is a really growing city and has some neat development going on. It was neat to see. Other than the tour, the trip was pretty much all about eating good meals, enjoying company and driving. On the way home on Sunday, we stopped at the gas station that my Aunt Kathy manages:

Unfortunately, she wasn't working. But I took a photo for evidence. (I am staring into the sun--not trying to be a pirate. Arrrgh.)

The only other notable trip fact is that I'm suspicious that I am being stalked by an oriole. Not like Cal Ripken...but an actual bird. On Thursday, I noticed an oriole outside my condo. On Friday evening, I was on a train and saw one out the window. Saturday morning: I saw one on my way to pick up The Incoming Mother-In-Law. And then, throughout the 4.5 hour drive to and from Des Moines I continued seeing an Oriole on the side of the road over and over.

Some may assume that there's just a lot of orioles out. I, however, think there may just be one. And he's following me around. He's everywhere. At first I thought he might be my guardian angel. But The Intended and The Incoming Mother-In-Law told me that orioles are mean and nasty. So he might be an assassin.

No comments: