5.15.2007

Boys Don't Get Hugging

Last night, The Intended and I completed our tour of our sisters' graduation ceremonies. Both ceremonies were very nice. But last night's took the cake because of the unintended entertainment provided by two young boys sitting behind us. They were probably between 3 and 6 and there to see their mom graduate. I swear that the younger brother was this kid.

We were seated in tiered stadium seating with the boys right behind us. And I mean, right behind us. They weren't up in their chairs but sitting on the floor in front of their family. They spent most of the ceremony leaning forward resting their chins on the backs of our chairs. The older one was over my left shoulder. The young one over The Intended's right. At first, they would just breathe heavy and moan with boredom every so often. But then the fun began.

The younger brother began to blow loud and long raspberries repeatedly.

The thing is, we really didn't care if his dad stopped him because it was the cutest thing ever. The Intended was giggling so hard that I pretended that she was overwrought with emotion over her sister's graduation. "There, there," I said and patted her arm.

Soon the fake-farts stopped and it got better. The brothers began to repeatedly ask questions of their dad and grandparents:

"When can we go home?"

"Why are we just sitting here?"

"Why's it so dark in here?"

"Why can't I go sit with Mom?"

And then, the best part came. On stage, each graduate came forward when their name was called, received their diploma and hugged two professors. The Little Jerry Maguire guy didn't get this at all and started making a series of great comments that left me tearing up with laughter:

"Why are they hugging so much?"

"Will they stop hugging soon?"

"They hug a lot in Mommy's class."

"We don't hug in my class."

2 comments:

derfman said...

Ha ha, funny. Also, your sister just graduated college? I did not know she was so young. But hey, now she's done and in the real world...

the todd said...

Man, I thought I banned him from this blog... :)