5.22.2007

The Ultimate Ultimate

It's Ultimate Day.

In fact, every Tuesday this summer is Ultimate Frisbee day. A group of about 6 to 10 of us from work meet out on a lot and play a pick-up game. It's really fun, the only real exercise I go in for anymore, and good bonding. I'm not that good but it's a lot of fun. And I do have my own niche play: The dive. I don't really catch anything unless I'm diving to the ground for it. I'm not sure that's necessarily a good thing.

Tonight is a special Ultimate Day because--as long as he's feeling OK with his cold enough to play--it's Marc's last Ultimate Day as a company employee. He may make it some nights this summer even with the new job, but this could be it. But even with that emotional context, tonight's game cannot be the mythological game last week was. Because it's not gonna rain.

Last Tuesday night was one of those special times in sports that you just don't forget. It was one of those times when, as it was happening, you just knew, "This is special." It was like game out of The Sandlot--when sports just made everything seem right. It was one of those times when you later see someone involved and you share a nod that says, "I was there with you, brother." As Marc wrote last week, it was legendary.

It started out with us getting 10 people to show up. Not often do we have 5 on 5 games so it was more competitive and fun from the get go. And then the rain started. And it kept coming as a warm, steady wall of water. But it was a warm rain that was more refreshing than bothersome. It was just fun. No one even thought of quitting. Our shirts got heavy. You could barely throw the Frisbee because of slick hands--and nothing to dry them with. I couldn't see with my glasses full of rain. So I took them off. And then I couldn't see because hair gel streamed into my eyes. So I found an old stocking cap in my truck.

The best part for me was on one drive when I ran into the end zone and dove (as per my style) for a Frisbee. I made the catch and then....I just slid in the wet grass. It was like playing sports on a giant Slip N' Slide. I should wet down the field for my dives all the time.

Oh, I just read that Wikipedia page that I linked to above. I like that it says Ultimate is a non-contact sport. I'll try to remember that from now on.

1 comment:

derfman said...

I was hoping for the Ultimate Showdown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76CS9z9kQ44