3.26.2007

Turkey Watch

This was a good weekend. I got to relax, I got to eat Salt Creek BBQ, The Intended had her first Wedding Shower (one down, 14 to go), I got to see my mom and grandma, and I fit in some bowling with the youth group.

Here's my favorite story of the weekend:

I was driving from the bowling alley to the church with one youth group kid, Colin. We were following another leader, my friend Laura (hi, Laura!). On a small residential street, she slowed down and stuck her head out the window and pointed off to the left. I didn't see anything. A little bit later, she did the same again--and seemed to be yelling at two older people standing on the sidewalk.

If she was trying to tell me something, I wasn't getting it. So I called her. She said, "Didn't you see the wild turkey walking down the street?"

I admitted I did not. Colin didn't either. We are boys and not very observant. But a wild turkey in dowtown Hinsdale would be an odd sight. (And I'm betting that if he's in Hinsdale, even that turkey makes more money than I do.)

Anyway, Laura continued: "And then those two people seemed like they were looking for something so I yelled to them, 'Are you looking for the turkey? It's down that way!'

We're not exactly sure the couple had indeed seen the turkey, but in a way I hope they hadn't--just because I think it'd be funny if they were just on a walk when someone in a car started yelling at them about a turkey.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I admit I have thought (feared?) I may some day be mentioned in Todd's blog. I did not, however, think about that when I was going on and on yesterday about the turkey. I know no one believed me, but I have evidence in my defense! The turkey sighting occurred right down the street from the Hanson Center. I looked them up and found this website... http://www.hinsdale-area-yes.org/yes_hanson_main.htm

... which says "Our 12.5 acre facility includes an indoor riding arena, a playground, a petting zoo and an indoor solarium."

A PETTING ZOO!!!

I rest my case.

the todd said...

Oh my goodness! It was an escaped turkey! Good eyes, Laura. And good detective work to find out where Mr. Gobble came from!

Anonymous said...

I just like the irony of the potential headline: "Wild Turkey Escapes Petting Zoo Captivity!"

It makes me giggle! :)