9.01.2006

Not a Rookie, Not Quite a Vet

I've had one of those age revelations this week that I think we all encounter at some point. I'm not facing any sort of mid-life crisis (whew, since that'd mean my 60th birthday would be a real bummer). And no, I'm not freaking out over my age. I'm only 29. But instead, it's just hit me that I'm an adult in a new way. I've gained a new gauge upon which to weigh my age.

And, being a guy, of course it would come to me through professional sports.

I remember being a kid and looking up to my parents or teachers or other adults and assuming that they somehow had it together. It was almost as if I assumed that at some point you passed an "Adult" test and then knew what to do, what to say, and how to have it together. You were something GREATER. You were an ADULT. As I got older, I realized that really isn't the case at all. You never really have it together. And maybe you never really feel like an adult. You're just you, but around for longer. I made that revelation first when I got to be the age my parents were when I was born. I couldn't believe they could hand out infants to people like me: so young, so immature, so unprepared. Then, shortly out of college I had to pay all my bills, and then I had a mortgage and was the only person with a set of keys to my residence. It all made me think about this thing we call "adult."

But this new thought is a bit different. When I was a kid, I looked at professional athletes as these men who could take on all obstacles. These guys had it together. Maybe even I rationalized why they were so good and could think so quickly and do what they do by reminding myself they were adults. They were older than I, and maybe someday I could achieve what they have. But this week I've heard a lot of talk aobut players' ages. And I realized that if I were a professional athlete, I'd no longer a rookie sensation. They'd be starting to call me a veteran.

It's sobering to look at your favorite team and realize that most of them are younger than you. And the team veterans--the old guys--aren't much older than you. Paul Konerko is a year older than I. Jermaine Dye three years.

I guess the consolation is that if I were a coach, I'd be considered really young.

Best of the Spam
Best Recent Addresses: Daintily K. Impunity, Twiddle M. Workaday, Gloomier E. Muesli, Ruler V. Forgettable

Best Recent Subject Line: "Rigorous Minivan"

Quote of the Week
"[Coach Bill Parcels] doesn't know my groin." -Mike Vanderjagt, Dallas Cowboys kicker, about who should decide whether he is healthy to play or not.

"Ahhh, your shirt is really blue!" -Emily, explaining why she was so frightened as I entered her office.

5 comments:

the todd said...

Duh. Of course they don't just "hand them out." You have to pay for it. And wait for the stork.

the dreamer said...

Oh, I've always paid close attention to the age of our ball players. And to their marital status. And ability to make eye contact when I'm sitting four seats away from the dugout.

But I promise I'm not a stalker.

Anonymous said...

there is nothing wrong with staring at a baseball player... it does not make you a stalker.. i promise ;)

the dreamer said...

Lil sis ... I think you and I could be friends.

I heard you met Neal Hotts. Lucky. I didn't actually meet anyone, but I could've, like, untied all their shoelaces if I wanted to: http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jilliok/album?.dir=/ce0escd&.src=ph

frankdog said...

Best line in a SPAM I've seen lately is "*Sex Depraved Housewives is a registered trademark."